Friday, July 26, 2013

BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe

I am constantly wanting to mess around and make up my own recipes in the kitchen, yet somehow I rarely get around to actually doing it.  This time, however, I DID!  And OMG am I glad I did!  Because this pizza is baller.  And completely guilt-free.  It has 3x more protein than carbs - a fitness foodie's DREAM!  (Scroll to bottom for macros) Give it a go!

*A couple of disclaimers - For the crockpot sauce, use whatever spices you want!  This is how my thought process worked for mine: *spins through the spice rack* "Hmmm...this looks good...this could work...let's try this..." so don't feel like you have to use this as a strict recipe!  Add/subtract ingredients as you see fit :)

Also, the low carb/high protein aspect of this recipe works in no small part because of the P28 Flatbread.  It has 27g carbs and 28g protein per piece!  So, you can substitute a different flatbread or crust, but it will inevitably have a higher carb and lower protein result (which defeats the purpose of why I made this in the first place!).


My Ingredient List:

For the crockpot
1/2 c. BBQ sauce (I used Sassy 2 Carb BBQ - low carb and still flavorful!)
1/2 c. chicken stock (low sodium)
2 cubes chicken buillion
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Dash of salt
3 dried Thai chiles (or jalapenos/other spicy pepper)
4 basil leaves
Spritz of lime juice
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast (I used breast tenderloins, which cooked through easier, so I might suggest cutting it into smaller pieces if you're using a whole breast.  Only use more than 1lb if you're using more than 1 piece of flatbread)

For the pizza
1 to 1 1/2 pieces of P28 Flatbread
1/2 large can of crushed tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 Tbl. Italian seasoning
Salt/pepper/spices to taste
1 1/2 cups reduced fat Colby Jack cheese (or cheese of choice)
1 1/4 cups reduced fat Mozzarella cheese
1/2 red onion, sliced
3 stalks green onion, diced

Throw all of the ingredients, except the chicken, into the crockpot and stir to combine.  Add chicken and let that puppy simmer for 4 to 5 hours on low.  When the chicken is done, shred it with tongs or a fork - it should tear apart very easily.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Lay out the flatbread on a baking pan.  Place a colander/strainer over a bowl and place the shredded chicken in the strainer, then pour remaining sauce from crockpot over top.  Pick out the chiles (trust me, you don't wanna bite into those!).

Combine resulting strained sauce with tomato sauce and mix in Italian seasoning and any other spices to taste.  Spread over top of flatbread all the way to the edges.  Sprinkle Colby Jack cheese over top.  Spread shredded chicken evenly (there will be a lot!) and distribute the red onion and green onion evenly as well.  Top with mozzarella.

Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove and drizzle with extra BBQ sauce.  Enjoy the awesome protein-packed goodness!!!



The macros for my BBQ Chicken Pizza

Serving size: 1 slice (12 slices total)

163 calories
9 g carbohydrates
6 g fat
20 g protein
496 mg sodium
3 g sugar

1 comment:

  1. That's one big pizza! My mouth is watering just by looking at it. I have to try that out and make one myself. The spice-optional sauce sounds amazing. Thank you so much for sharing! Cheers!

    James Moore @ Lin’s Buffet

    ReplyDelete