Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Wrapping Up & Moving On


I just realized I never posted my RESULTS from this year's Iowa State Fair!!! How could I forget?? Oh yeah, I sold all my belongings and moved to a new state, that's how :P Anyway, this was my best year by FAR – I could not be happier with how everything turned out! So here's what went down, listed by Name and (Category), along with a few pics:

First Place:
Double Layer Berry Bars (Midwest Living Cookies – Cake Mix Fix-Up Bars)
Bees in the Herb Garden Dip (The Best Dipping Sauce Ever)
Granny Cake (Hy-Vee Smile In Every Aisle Cakes)

Pumpkin Patch Cake (100 Years of Honey)

Second Place:
Olympic Cake (Hy-Vee Smile In Every Aisle Cakes)

Brown Sugar Donuts (Casey's Doughnuts)
Honey Lemon Cheesecake (100 Years of Honey)

Gluten-Free Berry Almond Tart (Gluten Free For You And Me)


Third Place:
Bees in the Herb Garden Dip (100 Years of Honey)
Spice Cake (Hy-Vee Smile In Every Aisle Cakes)

Italian Cream Cake (Hy-Vee Smile In Every Aisle Cakes)

Kentucky Butter Cake (Hy-Vee Smile In Every Aisle Cakes)

Chocolate Mint Crinkles (Midwest Living Cookies – Chocolate Crackles)

Honey Nut Spice Drops (Midwest Living Cookies – Health)
Raspberry Hazelnut Brownies (Midwest Living Cookies – Raspberry Brownies)

Honorable Mention:
German Chocolate Cheesecake (Knapp's Build Your Best Cheesecake)

And here's another that came SO. CLOSE. to placing!!!  Argh!  It was my Tangy Mango Chicken :)

I believe I entered a grand total of 31 entries over the course of 13 days, and got ribbons on 16 of them, so I technically placed on over half of the entries :) I had so much fun with competing this year and really tried to make the most of it, since I'm not sure when I'll get another chance to do it.

It was nice to have such a positive note to end the Fair on, since I knew I'd be going into overload mode soon after. I spent the next week and half running errands, posting ads on Facebook and figuring out what to pack like a crazy person. It's a little funny looking back on that now that I'm in Los Angeles, because a) it seems like forever ago and b) it all seems like not such a big a deal now. But in the end, the crazy paid off. I got all of my stuff sold, even my car (which was quite a process!), and tied up any loose ends. I also wanted to make sure I got to see all my friends before I left, of course! A house party, a trip to Miss Kitty's and a night of karaoke at Billy Joe's later, I think I managed to get that taken care of :) It was a little odd for me, in a way – I expected to get emotional and choked up, and it didn't really happen that way. I think I was too excited for what lies ahead, you know? So to my friends, if I seemed uncaring or apathetic, I apologize – you know I LOVE all of you and you mean so much to me!!! I think part of it was also that I didn't truly see it as “Goodbye,” but rather a simple, “See you later.”

Now, my time in Los Angeles is nearly wrapped up as well! How crazy is that?! One minute I'm prepping ten cakes for the Fair and the next I've learned four full shows and getting ready to hop on a ship. Life seems so unreal sometimes. But, rehearsals have been AMAZING. Our cast is great, everyone is extremely talented and we all get along! Lol. I'm super grateful, and I think we'll have a great time on the ship ;) I can honestly say I have nothing to complain about, which is a great relief considering I was coming into this blind with no idea what to expect. Needless to say, I have enjoyed my time here and I'm sure the ship itself will be even better. I have NO idea what to expect from that, either! No way to learn except do, right?

Lastly, I want to extend a huge thanks to all of my friends and family for the love you showed me as I prepared to leave and that you continue show me even though I'm away.  Unfortunately, I will only have access to phone and internet when I'm in port, but as promised I will do my best to stay in touch as much as possible.  Lots of love, and best wishes to you all!!!



1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration to us all. Wish I could come visit you on that cruise ship...

    ReplyDelete