Monday, August 8, 2011

And so it begins!

It is now official - I have entered my first items for the Food Division of the 2011 Iowa State Fair.  Yesterday I took in my dishes for Suzette's Candies, which will be judged on Wednesday - I had to take them in early since I didn't take the day off work to enter them the day of.  And the burning question: What did I enter??  I ended up making 7 dishes: Vanilla Vassar Fudge (extremely old-fashioned style of fudge), Peanut-Peanut Butter Fudge, Kahlua Mocha Fudge, Turkish Delight, Dark Brittle, Bavarian Vanilla Almonds and Irish Vanilla Caramel (Vanilla caramel with Irish Cream Liqueur!). 

I snapped a shot of me entering my candy on Sunday.  I didn't quite get in time before they started taking them, as you can tell my the hand carrying away a couple of them up in the corner lol.

 
I can honestly say that I'm proud of all of the things I made, which isn't always the case lol.  I don't like to get my hopes up too high for any competition (it just makes it more depressing if you don't end up placing), but I truly hope that at least a couple of them place well.  I worked on my fudge and candy-making technique more than ever this year, and I really feel like it paid off.  So, here's hoping!!!



And as always, as one day is finished another day begins.  My next big judging day is this Friday, with a plan of making 8 entries.  The great thing about the candy division was that I could make my entries in advance with no worries of them spoiling, because if there's one thing candy's good for, it's lasting a good long time with very little attention.  This week isn't quite as easy to get done early.  I have this complex where if it's not totally freshly-made, it's going to lose its taste.  I know this isn't true for most baked goods, since you can easily freeze cookies/breads/cakes/etc. without losing any integrity, but I just have such a hard time thinking it will be as good as when it came out of the oven.  I'm going to fight that at least a little bit this week and try to make at least two things before Thursday.  Right now I've got my White Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti in the oven, just about to ready to be taken out and cut.  I've only made biscotti once before so we'll see if this one's any good :D

White Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti before putting it in the oven


Aaaaaand out of the oven!  (Can't find my digital camera, so lackluster phone pictures have to suffice for now)

No comments:

Post a Comment